Re: [v6ops] draft-elkins-6man-ipv6-diagnostic-header (Was: draft minutes ietf 81, 3 meetings...)

Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net> Mon, 15 August 2011 17:01 UTC

From: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:02:11 -0600
To: nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-elkins-6man-ipv6-diagnostic-header (Was: draft minutes ietf 81, 3 meetings...)

Nalini,

On Aug 15, 2011, at 8:57 AM, nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com wrote:
>> Have you taken a look at flow-spec for IPv4:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5575
>> ... and, flow-spec for IPv6:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-v6-00
>> (Both the RFC and I-D are within the IDR WG).
>>
>> In summary, using flow-spec one can define an ACL that then
>> get distributed across all routers within an ASN, via BGP,
>> that can then be used to count matching packets, log packet
>> header information, etc.  It's up to the operator to
>> decide what ACL to be applied and what 'action' (logging,
>> counting, etc.) to be taken for packets that match a given
>> 'rule'.
>>
>> From where I'm sitting, this seems like it might already
>> solve the problem you're having, without having to invent a
>> wholly new IPv6 Destination Header Option.  So, I would
>> like to know if you have taken a look at flow-spec and, if
>> so, why it was ruled out?
>
> Certainly an interesting set of RFCs but a few questions I would have:
>
> 1.  What if BGP is not being used?

Turn it on?

There are a plethora of books, training materials/sessions, know-how, best practices, etc. documented and presented over the years, including those given at various *NOG's ... if folks want/need pointers on where to start, I (and others) would be happy to provide them.

> 2.  What about matching packets at non-router devices (that is, hosts)

Use tcpdump and/or wireshark?

> 3.  I believe what we need in diagnostics is the entire packet not just a logging that such a packet existed.  For example, the problem we are looking for may be in the body of the protocol data.  Ex. a problem with FTP.  So, we would need the entire packet as captured by a packet analyzer rather than a log that says 'a packet from dest x to source y was sent'.  I do not imagine that the log is going to keep the entire packet.  Am I missing something?

Take a look at RFC 5575.  It supports the idea of redirecting packets that match a flow-spec 'rule' to an IPVPN VRF.  I believe the reason this was done was to ensure (a copy of) the packet would be sent to a centralized collector(s) that could perform detailed packet analysis on the contents/payload of recv'd packets that are being sampled.

In short, I think this is a solved problem and there isn't a need for a IPv6 Diagnostic Header Destination Option.

-shane